Bulk Propane For Farmers: Key Uses And Benefits
Written on: May 14, 2021
Thousands of farmers across the Midwest use propane to power their farming operations, and for good reason: it’s one of the most powerful and efficient ways to run the machines and systems that keep a farm up and running.
Agricultural Use Of Propane
It’s also the most versatile commercial fuel around, especially in an agricultural setting. Consider all the ways that propane can be used in a farming operation:
- Irrigation Systems – Propane irrigation engines burn clean and operate extremely efficiently, which make them a perfect choice to keep crops hydrated.
- Weed Control – Propane flame weed control is a great alternative to harsh chemicals: it’s just as effective, it’s more eco-friendly, and it allows farmers to return to the fields immediately.
- Grain Dryers – Propane grain dryers are extremely efficient and effective, taking advantage of propane’s high burning temperatures to remove moisture from harvested grain.
- Barn/Greenhouse/Space/Water Heating – Propane is an ideal heat source for your buildings ranging from pens and greenhouses to milking parlors, storage silos, barns, and more.
- Backup Power – Power outages are twice as common today as they were just 10 years ago, and they can certainly be costly in today’s fast-paced, agricultural markets. Propane makes the perfect power source for backup generators because it does not degrade over time.
- Vehicle Power – From riding lawnmowers and forklifts to tractors and delivery trucks, propane can fuel just about any vehicle. Propane engines are cheaper to operate per mile and require less servicing than gas engines.
How Bulk Propane Benefits Your Farm
Considering making the switch to propane for your farm? Smart move. Convert to propane and you will:
- Save Money – Propane is significantly less expensive than gas or diesel fuel, and propane-powered engines cost far less to purchase and repair than their diesel counterparts.
- Reduce Losses – Propane is used in a closed-end fueling system, which virtually eliminates loss from theft and spillage.
- Reduce Maintenance Time and Cost – Propane burns cleaner than gasoline or diesel – which means you will experience less wear and tear on your equipment, lower maintenance costs, and less equipment downtime due to repairs.
- Shrink Your Carbon Footprint – Propane’s lower carbon emissions offer big environmental benefits that can create additional economic incentives through organizations such as the Propane Education and Research Council; it can also open up unique marketing opportunities by helping you promote your “green” management practices.
- Avoid Environmental Damage – If you spill propane, it evaporates without contaminating soil or water.
Need bulk propane for your Minnesota or Wisconsin farm or agribusiness? Lakes Gas has it! Contact us today to learn more about bulk propane deliveries in MN and WI!