If you smell propane, immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Don’t operate lights, appliances, telephones or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
- Leave the area immediately and get everyone out of the building when you suspect gas is leaking.
- Shut off the gas. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it’s safe to do so. Turn the valve clockwise - to the right - to close it.
- Report the leak. Call your propane retailer from a neighbor’s home or a nearby building away from the leak. If you can’t reach your retailer, call 911 or your local fire department.
- Don’t return to the building or area until your propane retailer, emergency responder or qualified service technician says it’s safe to do so.
- Get your system checked. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, make sure a professional checks your entire system to ensure that it’s free of leaks.