10 Interesting Propane Facts You May Not Know

Written on: April 22, 2021

propane service minnesotaIf you use propane gas at home, you probably already know that it’s one of the most effective and clean-burning fuels around – a home energy source capable of efficiently powering just about any appliance inside or outside your home or business.

But how much do you really know about propane? Here are 10 intriguing facts about this fascinating fuel:

  1. Most propane produced in the U.S. is a byproduct of domestic natural gas processing; this is a key reason why propane is currently in such an abundant supply. Some propane is also produced from the crude oil refinement process.
  2. Propane has a molecular formula C3H8; it is one of the lightest hydrocarbons in existence, which makes it one of the cleanest burning of all fossil fuels.
  3. In its natural state, propane is colorless and odorless; an odorant (which smells like rotten eggs) is added as a safety measure.
  4. Propane is 270 times more compact as a liquid than as a gas – which is why it’s far more economical to store and transport as a liquid.
  5. Propane is the only alternative fuel listed in the 1990 amendments to the Clean Air Act and the National Energy Policy Act of 1992; neither the process by which propane is produced nor the combustion of propane gas produces significant acid rain contaminants.
  6. Propane gas does not spill, pool, or leave a residue; this makes it harmless to soil or groundwater if a tank leaks.
  7. Propane furnaces can be up to 95 percent efficient; propane tankless water heaters can achieve even greater efficiency – up to 98 percent.
  8. Propane clothes dryers dry more quickly while creating less static than electric units, saving you time and money and reducing wear and tear on your wardrobe.
  9. Propane cooking ranges offer precision temperature control – a key reasons why nearly 95 percent of professional chefs choose to cook with gas. Propane stoves also cost less to operate than their electric counterparts.
  10. Nearly 90 percent of the U.S. propane supply is produced domestically; almost three-quarters of the remaining 10 percent is produced in Canada or Mexico.

No matter how you look at it, propane is a premium performance fuel for your home, business, or farm. Why not consider making the switch?

Did you know that Lakes Gas offers propane delivery throughout our Wisconsin and Minnesota service area? Now you do! Contact us today to learn more about propane delivery in WI and MN!