Can You Use Propane to Fuel Your Vehicle? You Bet!
Written on: February 21, 2022
Propane autogas can help you save big
If you haven’t heard of propane autogas, you’ll want to read up on this cost-saving, eco-friendly fuel option. Whether you are looking for dependable propane autogas service for your commercial or industrial fleet, or just want to save with propane on fuel costs, Lakes Gas can recommend the most efficient autogas solution to suit your unique needs.
What is autogas, exactly?
Propane autogas is just liquid petroleum gas that is used in vehicles, from on-road vehicles to forklifts, construction and landscaping vehicles. Automotive propane, or autogas, is the third most popular automotive fuel around the globe, after gasoline and diesel fuel.
Propane autogas is energy-efficient and eco-friendly
While vehicles using autogas may require larger amounts of propane than gasoline, it’s still far more cost-efficient, since:
- Propane systems are sealed, and therefore no gas is lost to evaporation.
- Propane burns at higher compression ratios, which means it is capable of producing more energy, or horsepower, than more traditional fuels, when output levels are compared.
- Autogas costs up to 60% less than gasoline. The long-term savings on maintenance and fuel reveal themselves quickly, even with the cost of converting factored in.
- Since autogas is such a clean-burning fuel, the vehicles in your fleet will need less maintenance, have a longer driving range and they’ll have an extended engine life.
Propane autogas is eco-friendly
- Propane autogas is safe and notoxic. In the event of a leak, this fuel simply dissipates, causing no environmental damage to the soil, water or air around it. This is really unlikely though, because the puncture resistance of a propane tank is 20 times greater than its gasoline counterpart.
- With 20% less CO, 40% fewer nitrogen oxides and 10% less CO2, vehicles powered by autogas have lower emissions, which means everyone has cleaner air.
How does switching to propane autogas work?
We’ll set up a filling station – which is very similar to using a gasoline pump –according to your needs. And if your needs change, we’ll adapt to make propane autogas continue to work for you and your fleet. There are also autogas stations all around the country, so you can fill-up while on the road, just like you would in a standard gasoline-powered vehicle.
A wide range of autogas users
Lakes Gas provides dependable propane autogas for educational, commercial and industrial users throughout the region. Here’s an overview of the many types of autogas users:
- agricultural operations including farm tractors
- charter buses
- commercial vans for service businesses, like plumbers and electricians
- community and campus shuttle services
- delivery vehicles
- emergency medical services
- forklift operations
- lawnmowers and other landscaping vehicles
- police departments
- school buses
Putting propane autogas to work for you, your budget, and the environment
Let us know if you need details about federal and state autogas incentives, tax credits, and other ways you can save when your Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin and South Dakota fleet uses propane autogas.
Contact Lakes Gas today to learn more about how we can help your business get the most out of propane autogas!